The pressure on the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to cancel the IPL has increased after PM Modi’s announcement of a 21-day lockdown to deal with the Coronavirus epidemic. The BCCI postponed the IPL to 15 April earlier this month, when it said that the tournament would be hosted only if the situation improves.
BCCI President Saurabh Ganguly told PTI that he had nothing to say on the matter in view of the grave situation. Ganguly said, “I can’t say anything right now.” We are at the same place where we were at the time of the decision to suspend it. Nothing has changed in the last 10 days. In such a situation, I have no answer.
Kings XI Punjab co-owner Ness Wadia looked more clear on the issue. Wadia said, “The BCCI should really consider postponing the IPL now.” As a major sporting event, we need to act with greater responsibility.
Ganguly on IPL will review the situation every week The Board of Control for Cricket in India, Saurabh Ganguly, said on March 14 that both the BCCI and the government were monitoring the situation. And it will be assessed every week. He also expressed concern over the safety of the people. He said that we want to have IPL but the safety of the people matters a lot.
Earlier on Tuesday, the BCCI adjourned the conference of officials and team owners as the cases of Kovid-19 are continuously increasing in the country and the world. This league competition of eight teams filled with glamor and dazzle was originally scheduled to begin on March 29 in Mumbai. It seems that the BCCI still sees the possibility of improving the situation, so it is not able to take any decision.
A BCCI official associated with the matter said, “If the Olympics can be postponed for a year, then the IPL is a very small tournament in that sense. It is becoming difficult to organize. We should also think that the government is not even thinking about allowing foreign visas. ‘